Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Forgettability

Despite priding myself on pretty serious nerd cred, I am not a big Doctor Who watcher. I have seen and loved a few episodes (Vincent and the Doctor is my favourite) but Sci-Fi, with it's space travel and aliens is rarely my thing. As such, I am not overly familiar with the concept of the Silence.
But Wikipedia is never wrong and confirmed what I thought I knew: that people immediately forget about a Silent once they turn their gaze away from them.

And I am starting to think I share that particular power with the Silence, apart from that their suggestions stick in people's minds, whereas mine do not. 

It would seem that I am forgettable. If I do not initiate contact with someone, there will be no contact. Even if I take the initiative, there may be not contact.

In the last while, I have experienced:
- Contacting charities asking for volunteers to offer them help, only to hear nothing back.
- Being promised to be sent a message and having to send out a reminder.

And this is only in the last week. For a very long time now, I have felt that I am at the bottom of people's list of things to remember and think about, if I am on the list at all. And I hate it. I hate that everything always has to come from me. It makes me feel desperate and like I am forcing myself on people. My concern is not that people dislike me, when I contact them, they are frequently up for hanging out. But I would love to be contacted every once in a while (I do not have a need or want to be hugely popular and in constant demand) and remembered. Especially when I have already taken the first step.

I often wonder if this is a common issue for a lot of people, a result of a self-centred society that relies on Facebook and Twitter to be reminded that other people exist too (I am not a big Facebook and Twitter user, maybe this is where I am going wrong) or that I am just a bland, boring person...or even that I give off the impression that I don't want to be contacted and that I prefer to initiate things myself. 

Perhaps I am considered so reliable and organised that people count on getting reminders from me. But that kind of complacency really pisses me off. The control freak in me really wants to know. 

I would love to hear from people if this happens to them too, maybe we all have something in common.

Thank you for reading (and remembering)!




1 comment:

  1. I promise I'll remember you! (especially now that I can link you to a face and owning that same Targaryen T-shirt!) xxx

    ReplyDelete